Sweet, tender pork that just about melts in your mouth is a family favorite – no matter what!
This fun and easy recipe switches up traditionally seasoned pork with a secret ingredient you may walk right past in the grocery store.
I’m talking about soda pop! Dr. Pepper creates the perfect complement for a sweet and savory pork dish.
This slow cooker version is too simple to pass up and something you can throw together in the morning for an easy-to-make dinner that your whole family will love.
The creative gals at Spend With Pennies concocted this crock pot recipe and say the decadent meat is savory on its own. If your family isn’t crazy about Dr. Pepper, they even recommend using diet cola or root beer. I don’t know about you, but I’m thinking it’s time for pulled pork sandwiches at my house!
The ingredients for this amazingly easy slow cooker recipe are below:
- 1 pork butt/shoulder roast
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 can of Dr. Pepper
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
The instructions are below:
- Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Rub the outside of the roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour the Dr. Pepper over the meat and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Using forks, shred the pork and place back in the juices.
- Add barbecue sauce to taste. Allow to cook for an additional 30 minutes if desired.
- Serve on fresh rolls with cole slaw and enjoy!
If you’re anything like me, you need a visual when it comes to a new recipe. So to help out all the readers who like to see how it’s done, we’ve included a step-by-step tutorial in the video below.
The ingredients and instructions are not entirely the same as the ladies from Spend With Pennies, but Nate Engels from the YouTube channel ‘Let’s Get Crockin” knows a thing or two about slow cooking!